Thursday, September 24, 2009

First day: lots of forms, lots of walking


Got up around 8:15, showered, went to the general office to pick up my university and college card. There I got some booklets, info sheets and a huge 1100 page book "Examination regulations". :o
Registered the card to let me have access to computer rooms, library, laundry room etc. No computer yet as the one I ordered still hasn't shipped as theyre waiting for one of the parts.
After that walked to the HSBC bank in Summertown with my acceptance letter. Took well over an hour to get everything set up.


Got back around 11:30, then walked to the city center, explored a bit. Some nice buildings and incredibly huge book stores. Had lunch in a tourist trap, of which there are lots.Then walked to botley road which is a bit outside the city center. There I bought a bike at warland's, which came recommended in the google maps reviews.  £100 for a second hand bike, and they changed the rather huge handlebars to smaller ones for free.

Got back around 14:00, parked my bike, dropped off some stuff and walked(!) back to the city center to find an electric shaver and look around some more. Found a lot of shops which will be useful, bought some fruit and breakfast for tomorrow at Sainsbury's. Could not find a shaver at first but the Sony shop suggested I try Argos. Argos is a very strange store which just has rows and rows of the same huge catalog. After finding a shaver (philips 7360 at £49 including free travel kit with nail clippers and such), I had to write down the catalog number and go to customer service, where they took my ticket. I then had to pick up and pay for the item, which was delivered from their underground storage within a few minutes. Very strange, but quite efficient way of having a store with a huge number of items.

Walked back again, wrote down the shaver in the electric equipment form, and handed in the whole stack of forms (emergency contact, fire notice, tenancy agreement, etc) at the accommodation office. Then went to the computer room to write this, obviously. :)

 ... to be continued

1 comment: